North Jetty Cleanup
Sarasota Bay Watch is partnering with the Suncoast Reef Rovers from Venice to cleanup up the Venice North Jetty this Saturday. They are looking for divers, a few kayakers, and lots of topside helpers! As a group you will work together to pull fishing debris and trash from the North Jetty protecting the habitat while making it safer for people, marine animals, and birds.
- Divers should arrive by 9-9:15 a.m. to allow plenty of time to get ready and be able to enter the water at 10 a.m.
- There will be a pre-dive briefing at 9:45 a.m. to cover the dive plan. The pre-dive briefing will be held at the near the North Jetty walkway - look for the SCRR banner.
- The current plan is for divers to enter the water at 10 a.m. and exit the water sometime on or before 11 a.m.
- The Venice Police Department and Sarasota County Sheriff will be on site to assist with the clean-up.
* The Jetty can be a challenging dive environment. You need to be an experienced, certified diver and comfortable diving in low visibility water with debris and sharp objects in the area to participate.
* Bring extra weight and a cutting device.
* You must be certified and supply your own equipment.
* Bring your dive card to the event
* Bring all gear. There will be no equipment rentals available.
* Divers need to dive with buddies (we can match you up with one at the event, if needed)
* Gloves, a cutting tool, and mesh bag needed. Cleanups can be dangerous due to debris, sharp rocks, water conditions.
* You must supply your own kayak and paddle. Life preservers are required by law.
* Bring gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, and water.
* This is a dirty job! Bring sturdy gloves, sunscreen, and a hat.
* You will be assisting kayakers and divers in getting debris onto land and helping to sort, weight, record, and dispose of debris.
If you have any questions, please contact Ken Lackmann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 352-538-4911 or Ronda at 941-232-2363.