Bay restoration and research grants announced
TBEP recently awarded more than $880,000 for bay research and restoration projects through the Tampa Bay Environmental Restoration Fund (TBERF).
This year's Fund contributors are the Southwest Florida Water Management District, Florida Department of Transportation, Hillsborough County, Mosaic Company Foundation, City of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Community Foundation of Tampa Bay, Hillsborough County Environmental Protection Commission, Tampa Electric Company and Port Tampa Bay.
Nine proposals were recommended for funding by an evaluation committee and approved by TBEP's Policy Board. They are:
- Boyd Hill Nature Preserve Freshwater Wetland Restoration ($200,000)
- Coastal and Estuarine Acidification Monitoring in the Tampa Bay Region ($147,579)
- Evaluation of Sportfish Habitat Utilization, Growth, and Condition at Large-Scale Restorations in Tampa Bay to Inform and Prioritize Past, Future, and Ongoing Restoration Activities ($114,912)
- Hard Bottom Mapping and Characterization within the Tampa Bay Watershed ($52,500)**
- Ignacio Haya Living Shoreline ($76,000)
- Microplastics in Tampa Bay ($40,000)
- Mobbly Bayou Habitat Restoration ($200,000)
- Perico Robinson Connector ($39,333)
- Woodstork Stormwater Pond Restoration ($10,000)**