Public celebration of the life and legacy or Dr. Eugenie Clark announced
Come celebrate the life and legacy of "Shark Lady" Dr. Eugenie Clark, the world-famous scientist who founded Mote Marine Laboratory. The celebration will take place on her birthday, May 4, at Mote in Sarasota. (Details below)
Dr. Clark passed away at age 92 on Feb. 25. Her career spanned nearly 75 years of groundbreaking marine research focused on sharks and other fishes, along with teaching, writing and outreach that touched countless lives and helped people around the world become more ocean literate.
Dr. Clark was honored in the U.S. Congress on Monday, March 16. Rep. Vern Buchanan said: "Her legacy is impressive: blazing trails for women in science; inspiring generations of people from ocean experts to school children; swimming with sharks to learn about them; and founding a world-class marine laboratory that turned 60 this year." (Full remarks are available in the Congressional Record.)
She was also honored by Sarasota County on Tuesday, March 17, when county commissioners presented a Certificate of Recognition to Mote leaders.
Celebrate Dr. Clark's Life and Legacy at Mote:
- When: 1:30 p.m. Monday, May 4 (Dr. Clark's birthday)
- Who: The public is welcome. RSVP is required.
- Where: Mote Marine Laboratory's Sea Cinema, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway on City Island in Sarasota, Fla., 34236
- RSVP required: mote.org/memorialrsvp
- Share your thoughts and photos and memories of Dr. Clark by emailing: email@example.com
- Messages and photos will be shared with Dr. Clark's family, and a selection may be used for Mote's public outreach. If you provide photos, please include caption and credit.
- Read about Dr. Clark's life.
- In lieu of flowers, you can honor Dr. Clark’s life by supporting her Lab through the Dr. Eugenie Clark Memorial Research Endowment Fund at www.mote.org/geniememorialfund